Monday, September 7, 2020

2020-25

 

25-2020

Great Sand Dunes area, Part 2
Creede Colorado

Campground: San Luis State Wildlife Area. A Former Colorado State Park. Cost: Daily, 5 day, or yearly Fishing pass. I paid $32.14 for a 5 day fishing license (out of state price) making my daily fee $6.41. nice covered picnic table, 30/50 amp electric hookups. Water available and dump station.





Campground: Walmart parking lot: Alamosa Colorado

no pictures

Campground: Dispersed camping, Rio Grande National Forest. Hwy 160 Wolf Creek Pass.




Campground: Dispersed camping, Rio Grande National Forest. Palisades established campground, 10 miles east of Creede Colorado. $13 Senior rate. $26 regular. Picnic tables, Bear storage, dumpster, well water pump. Pit toilets. Lush pine tree forest and Rio Grande River (it’s origins are right up the road)


sunset view from my patio
 Palisades established campground,



Before I leave the Great Sand Dunes NP area, let me describe why I think this is a great place to stay for awhile. You already know about the inexpensive campground: San Luis State Wildlife Area. But there is much more to this area. First off, it’s only a 30 minute drive to the town of Alamosa, which has all the stores you’d need, including Walmart's, grocery stores, hardware, and Walgreen drug store. So it’s convenient from that standpoint. Next it has a number of attractions that I find appealing. The Sand Dunes of course, The hot geothermal swimming pools, a gator farm, really. And the UFO observation tower. And 30 minutes south of Alamosa, in the town of Antonio, is a unique feature. A series of ‘castles”






From the San Luis State Wildlife Area campground, it’s only about a 15 or 20 minute ride to the geothermal pools. Inexpensive and a great way to enjoy a large swimming pool, lap pool, and hot pool. They have a small hotel, Rv park as well as a nice spot for lunch or a snack. Believe me, when your essentially in the middle of nowhere, that’s quite a treat.


numerous sightings have occurred in 
this area for years


people leave objects in the UFO "garden"
not sure how Taylor Swift would feel
about this :)
people stay overnight/Rving
so they can watch and try to see a UFO

supposedly by leaving an object
you enhance the Vortex powers??
I thought this was interesting
cassette tape....

the closest I've gotten to seeing an alien
well except for those crossing the boarder.... 




A few minutes further on down the road and your at the UFO Watchtower. It’s even listed on my National Geographic Adventure Edition Map. The watchtower is available for anyone staying at their primitive campground for night viewing. You might even see a UFO. Hmmm. I talked to the owner/ worker and she said they have had over 200 sightings this past year. Believe it or not. It’s still a fun place to visit.


On my exit out of the area, I of course stopped in the town of Alamosa. Pick up supplies, medicines, and wouldn’t you know it, I had another incident with the tire valves. Had an almost flat tire after parking overnight at Walmart's and was able to limp my way a mile and a half to a tire shop. They figured out it was a loose valve fitting. After fixing that, I had them install two valve extensions on the dually tires as I was unable to reach the inside tires for adding air when needed. So it all turned out well in the end. An inexpensive repair/upgrade.


Cano's Castle
Cano's Castle


Cano's Castle

Atlas Obscura :Built largely out of beer cans and other metal refuse, for Espinoza the castle serves as a thanks for having his life spared during the Vietnam war. Cano’s castle is actually four separate structures. “The king”, “the queen”, “the palace” and “the rook”



From Alamosa, I headed south to Antonio to see an Atlas Obscura site. (that’s a great app by the way) In the small Spanish town is a series of three Castles made by hand, by a Spanish gentleman who created it after surviving the Vietnam War. It was his way of thanking God. He’s been creating this masterpiece for over 40 years. From things he finds at the dump, mainly aluminum, wood, hubcaps, you name it.


He told me about his family first settling the valley here in southern Colorado, when it was still a part of the New Mexico territory. His ancestors owned thousands of acres, and continued to import sheep from Spain over many years. He told of the unlawness nature of the other settlers in the area, who often stole their sheep. Many ending up in Australia. He believes those huges herds of sheep in Australia are all descendant from those stolen from his family. His original ancestor from Spain was Jewish and he married a Native American Indian. And now as a descendant, he is trying to get compensated by the Federal Government and wants Australia to pay him back billions of dollars for his families stolen sheep. Quite a story.


But it’s his unique American Folk Art buildings that show his artistic talent off so well. I enjoyed learning about his family and this area of the country that is totally 100% Spanish speaking and filled with such Spanish/Mexican heritage. The town even had a Spanish Consulate at one time.


Interesting Notes:


I’m staying at a National Forest Campground in Colorado that currently has no restrictions on campfires. I asked the camp host about this, since Colorado has a statewide ban on all open fires outdoors. The camp host told me that the Federal Government has not put in place any bans on open camp fires, even when their Smokey the Bear signs all indicate “Extreme Fire Danger”. So next door to me, a small younger motor cycle group is have a large campfire each night. Gathering dry wood from the surrounding forest each day. Odd, just very odd to my way of thinking.


Signs in many of the stores indicating that the Colorado Governor has dictated the requirement to wear face coverings while in stores or around people where social distancing is not possible. One shop in Creede stated the requirement but added that they didn’t care if you came in without a mask. Obviously, I would not go into that establishment. At the laundromat today, everyone was complying to the request to wear a mask. I was probably the only one sanitizing my hands every time I touched the machines and opened the door to go in and out of the building.


Continued reports and studies are indicating the benefits of taking Vitamin D3. I’ve been deficient for a number of years and currently take 5,000 IU’s daily. I also get tested yearly to ensure my levels are normal. It is possible to take too much so check with your doctor if you decide to add it to your regiment.


Creede Colorado.


downtown, back street 
at the end of the main street
Creede Colorado

lots of homes built on the hill sides 



A bit off the beaten path, in the heart of Colorado mining country, mountains, rivers lies this historic town. I thought I’d been here before. The 20 mile drive in from hwy 160 looked familiar, but when I got into town, I didn’t recognized it. I might have been here years ago, but I’m glad I made the journey to see it again. It was relatively quiet the first couple times I went into town, but my last day venturing into Creede was a bit different. I was able to have lunch at an outdoor seating. Terrible food, not cooked to my request so I won’t mention the place. After lunch, back out on the sidewalk, the place was pact. The 5k or 9k run was over and the town had filled up with lots of people, walking large dogs, chatting in the middle of the passage ways. Well, that was enough for me, I headed back to the camper and headed out of Dodge as the saying goes.

















Note: Could not find a good coffee shop in Creede.


Back at the campsite, Palisades campground, half way between Creede and South Fork, I enjoyed a perfect afternoon. Sunny, warm in the afternoon, no bugs what so ever. Not even a fly to swat away. Nice neighbors to talk to in the late afternoon


More photos:

Cano's Castle

Geothermal Pools, UFO Tower, Silver Castles folk artistic

Creede Colorado



No comments: