Friday, August 7, 2020

2020-20 One the Road in Wyoming

 

2020-20

National Geographic Road Atlas
Adventure Edition
Really helps me find great places to expore
See all items highlighted in RED


On the Road in Wyoming

traveling thru Wind River Canyon
Wind River Canyon, 3 tunnels
on the other side of the river, the train had a couple tunnels as well


thank goodness they have lots of pull-outs
must have stopped a half a dozen times


Campground: Lovell City campground. Approx 8 pull-thru sites, no hookups. Free for up to 3 days. Good potable water and dump stations. At this time the restrooms are closed and the sign at the entrance to the campground indicates “closed”. Though the campsites are all available. Nice shady spots w/ picnic tables.

3 days free camping, Lovell WY city park


Campground: GrayBull WY. Pulled in behind the Commerce Visitor Center after getting the ok to park there overnight. KOA available in town if you care to pay the price. Got lots of good info from Jeff Thornton, the Economic Development Dir.

no picture

Campground: Legend Rock Petroglyph. Electric site for camphost. None around so am attempting to stay the night. Will see if I get kicked out. No cell service. OPPs, I got kicked out, sort of. Ranger came by and said I would need to disconnect to the power, but could stay overnight. Too remote, decided to leave.

kicked out.  No picture

Campground: Wyoming Gardens Rv Park. $38.50. 30 amp elec. And water. Nice site for one night. Walked across the side street to do laundry before leaving the next day.

one night, no picture

Campground: McManus Park, City park in Lander WY. Free tent and Rv sites. No hookups. Good Tv reception and Verizon Internet/phone. Picnic tables, trash cans, restrooms. tennis court, basesball.

basic park on the edge of the road, next to the small stream.  

BigHorn Canyon National Recreation Area

This summer has been one of discovery, in particular places a bit off the beaten path. Heading into Wyoming from Montana, I could have easily gone to Cody Wy, the eastern end gateway to Yellowstone, but trying to avoid any big crowds, I will bypass both. Instead, I veered off hwy 310 to Lovell Wy. Where I’ll stay for a few days at their free City Park and explore BigHorn Canyon National Recreation area. Now this park is divided into two sections, one accessible from the Montana side and the other from the Wyoming side.

 BigHorn Canyon National Recreation area.
Entering, south end

beginning of the Big Horn River/reservoir
a one room temporary School House
There are three historic Ranches available to tour




horse barn








Heading to Bighorn Medicine Wheel.

THE BIG ADVENTURE OF THE SUMMER

This was one of those experiences of a lifetime, in my way of thinking anyway. Heading out of Lovell on 14A, which should have been a clue to begin with, as (alternate) routes can often be challenging. But of course I was up for adventure today. The road winds dramatically as it climbs on up over five thousand feet in elevation very quickly. With that being said, I decided to hit the flashing lights to indicate I would be going slowly up a very steep grade. Shortly after doing this, I noticed the camper appeared to be running a bit sluggishly, even for heading up a steep grade. Glancing at the controls, I noticed a Yellow emergency triangle with an ! Inside of it. That’s not good I thought to myself. As there was no one else to talk to at the moment.


A quick stop to try and figure out why an idot light came on

near the top of a very steep climb, one of
those WoW drives!

the steep steep climb, not for large Rv's




I quickly pulled off the road. Wondering what that little symbol meant. Pulling out the owners manual, yes I actually am capable of reading them. I discovered it was an indicator that I had hit, the ASR button, Acceleration Skid Control. The manual informed me, never turn off the ASR while in the driving mode, as it will automatically cause the computer to indicate danger and will slow the vehicle down to a crawl.   

Now you might ask, why did I hit the ASR button. Well as I mentioned earlier, I had hit the triangle emergency flashing lights to warn traffic I would be going slowly up the hill, well, right next to that button is the ASR off button. Apparently, I had hit that button as my finger slid across the flashing light button. And there you are. Turning the engine back on all was reset and I was on my way climbing to the top of a 9,800 foot Bald Mountain, BigHorn national forest. What a way to start an adventure!

Near the top of the mountain, I took the road leading higher up along a 3 mile dirt road, with spectacular views of the alpine meadows, Spruce covered mountains with creeks meandering through the meadows. Now I have to tell you, taking a Class C camper along basically a single lane dirt road, hugging the side of a mountain range is to put it mildly, exhilarating.


I sure have been going down a lot of 
dirt roads lately.  This was only 3 miles


But the best was yet to come. From high on top, after parking Zippidy Do-Dah, putting on my hiking boots, camera, drinking water and a snack, I was ready for the 3 mile round trip to the Medicine Wheel. Have you ever been to a location where you feel like you are walking on top the world. Well this is one of those spots. As the views not only go to the horizon, but everything appears to be below you.

the Trail leading to the Medicine Wheel
was breathtakingly beautiful
well worth the three mile roundtrip


well, ok, the last half mile might have been
a bit much... 



The trail is actually a well maintained dirt road, leading to the top where the Medicine Wheel resides. That initial walk to the site, was almost as exciting as getting to the actual destination. My energy level was super high and the walk seamed like a piece of cake as the saying goes. However, the last half a mile climb to the top, I found myself slowing down quite a bit. Resting once I got to the top. Hmmm do you think it has anything to do with the fact that the medicine wheel is at 9,600 feet elevation. there’s a volunteer up there daily and she has some great info on the Medicine Wheel. Including that over 35 Indian ceremonies are performed here yearly. As many tribes claim this as a part of their heritage. The age of the site is somewhere between 6,000 years old, with the wheel being added to over many years to it’s last use recorded around 1774. Though by the looks of it, it has been continuously used to the present day.















There’s definitely a special feeling to the place and I’m so glad I went on this journey. Even if the going was a bit slower on the return, I sure did enjoy the immense beauty of the surrounding. And I didn’t even mention, there were patches of snow right at the elevation I was trecking. Wow, the beginning of August and still a few patches of snow. And the profusion of wild flowers along the path were an added bonus to a perfect morning adventure.


Instead of returning on 14A back to Lovell, I decided to head further in the national forest and return on hwy 14. Which I assumed would be another piece of cake drive. Well, almost. It is a beautifully newly paved route, with a number of dispersed campgrounds throughout the forest. The large stretches of Alpine meadows surrounded by those spruce trees is just breathtaking. Back to my return route heading towards GrayBull, the road started to gradually descend. Then numerous signs indicating that steep grades were ahead for 20 miles. Then markers indicating steep grades, the next 15 miles, 10 miles and finally 5 miles. Good to know, as it was definitely necessary to put Zippy in lower gears the entire way. Down shifting really pays off. Along the way there’s a neat waterfalls, right on the edge of the highway, with great catwalks and boardwalks wrapping around the rock cliffs scored by years of water. Before arriving at GrayBull there’s a spot for dinosaur track touring. Yet again down a 5 mile dirt road. This one indicating high clearance vehicles only. I was sorely tempted to try it. But after noting the road is basically a mix of clay and sand, and deep rutted, from past wet weather. I decided this is one adventure I’d wait and hopefully meet up with friends who have a truck or high clearance vehicle for the journey. If it wasn’t for the very hilly terrain, I would almost consider getting out the E-bike and taking it down the 5 mile road.








After spending the night in Greybull, pop 1200, I’ve headed down to Thermopolis and a side trip to Legend Rock State, Archaeological Site. I’d actually been to this site in the past, but wasn’t absolutely sure without going back through my Blog reports. But a little out of the way, it was well worth a second visit as a few of the Petroglyph pictures will testify. The site has a visitor center and hookups for a camphost, which there are non at present. Taking advantage of a good thing, I’ve connected to the power and will spend the night here if things work out.

I see a figure upside down
what do you see?






sure looks like an alien doesn't it?



I just love this rabbit image


Some of the art work is 10,000 years old, others having been created during the archaic period, between 8,000 BC and 6,000 BC. The latest being within the past 2,000 year history. From the Dinwoody traditional style to depictions from the Crow Indians. Truly an on going legacy of native Indian activity in the area. If it was for the constant stream of water through the canyon, I couldn’t imagine anyone living out here.


I’m hopping through the state with plans to get back to the Flaming Gorge area and higher elevation with plans to spend at least a month in Colorado.


More photos:

Wild River Canyon,WY

Legend Rock Petroglyphs, Thermopolis wy

Medicine wheel, Bighorn mts, Wy

Lovell Wyoming, Bighorn Canyon national recreation area



No comments: