Saturday, July 11, 2020


2020-16

A favorite view of Fremont Lake
600 feet deep, glacier created

Pinedale Wyoming


Campground: Bridger National Forest campground. Fremont Lake. $6 senior rate. Paved pull-thrus, substantial picnic tables. Water available but not for filling Rv holding tanks. Most sites are reserve-able which would be good if you want a site with awesome lake views.

Bridger National Forest campground.


Distance Traveled: 90 miles
Pinedale Wyoming


Occurring while I'm here.





Pinedale notes;


  • there are 1,300 lakes within a 30 mile radius of Pinedale
  • Moose are prevalent in the area and can often be seen Boyd Skinner park
  • Fremont Lake was created by glaciers and is over 600 feet deep
  • Museum of the Mountain Man, Fur trade, Oregon Trail
  • major deer and elk migration route leading to Yellowstone NP
  • Trout fishing is big up here
  • Sublette County has only had 3 Covid 19 cases to date. (7/11/2020)

Fremont Lake



Zippy and me are enjoying the journey. Especially since I am now able to pull over easily and enjoy the scenery and wayside attractions. Speaking of that, There are some great Wyoming history signage along highway 189. Describing the Fur Trapping in the area. The Green river was the richest area for beaver. One of the attractions is called Names Hill. The old Green River Crossing and rendezvous on the Oregon Trail. A famous signature being Mountain Man Jim Bridger. 1844. With many others being carved into the soft stone walls.

two lane country roads
some of my favorite routes

Names Hill state Historic site




Then it was onto Pinedale where I’ll spend at least a week at Fremont Lake. I’ve passed through this area before and decided it would work as an alternative to heading to the Grand Tetons and Jackson. Often referred to as Jackson Hole. The towns name is Jackson and the area is actually Jackson Hole. But I’ve decided not to venture into Jackson as they have been a hot spot for Covid 19. The other day on the local news it mentioned that the city now requires a face mask in all bldgs and even outside when 6 ft distance is not possible. A good measure, but also indicating the crowded atmosphere I would be going into.

just before heading into Pinedale
an old gas station

and motor court

A motor court had a car port next to each cabin
in other words it became known as a Mo-Tel


Not that Pinedale is a whole lot better, as there is quite a bit of traffic through town. Their largest grocery store and hardware store, Ridley’s Family Market and Ace hardware is constantly busy. I did eventually go in the other morning, and due to the large size of the store, I was not close to other customers and they had a good selection of everything I needed including a deli. I was able to get a good selection of stuff for a picnic as my good Desert Trails friends Sue and Michael were coming into town for a visit.

After meeting up at Dave’s Last stand, a great spot to order takeout food, we picked up a few more items for our picnic and then went to a local park called Boyd Skinner park. Sue, Michael and I sat on Mexican blankets and had a great picnic including desert in advance of my Birthday in a few days (July 10th). Don’t ask, I’m old as dirt. (Sorry Sue for making you get down on the ground, it’s not always easy getting back up) After good conversation and food, we took a walk along the river trails, across a walking bridge and almost bumped into two MOOSE !! Young bucks with barely the start of those great antlers. They were not spooked by us and after taking some pictures of them with their heads in the bushes eating fresh growth, we started our walk, didn’t like the trail is were on so headed back to the bridge crossing. To our special delight, we were able to get pictures of the two moose as they forded the rocky river. Score one for perfect timing. Sue even asked if I had somehow planned this super exciting experience.

Like the local Mountain Man Rendezvous
Sue, Michael and I got together as well. 



and right in their downtown park, MOOSE



Young Bucks



Weather is perfect in the mid 70’s to low 80’s and cool evening sleeping weather.

Fremont Lake was created thousands of years ago during the last ice age. Depositing a moraine at the lower end, trapping the mountain waters and creating the lake. At a depth of 600 feet. Making for a great recreation area. The campground is at the far end of the lake, with boulders strewn around like pebbles, Aspen trees and fir trees along north end of the lake. Undergrowth is filled with tons of tiny wild rose bushes, yellow daisy's and other wild flowers along with fragrant sage fighting for attention with the wild roses.

Well my days are often kept busy, trying to conduct business, requiring me to head into town. Where I usually park the camper next to a nice city park. Today was one of those days, where I needed not only good internet but good cell phone connections as I needed to contact my Tax acct for help in submitting addition funds to pay for added taxes on my Rv lots that I lease out. Additional income you know. With that taken care of I was pleasantly surprised to see my ROKU stock has finally broke out and gone way up. I mean really way up. It’s expected to earn 35% increases in profit for each of the next three years. I think I made a good decision a few years ago by purchasing that one stock. And a have a bit in Dollar General as well, and it continues to do well too. Everytime I go into one of the stores, and there are thousands of them in many little towns, and purchase something, I figure it’s actually free to me with the profits I’ve made. Win, win.

I’ve also been helping out our Shelter Cove community in Florida by vetting potential renters for the Rv lots the community owns and leases out. It takes a bit of effort but it’s nice to be able to help out even when out on the road.

Well it’s my Birthday today, yes I’m a year older and the age number really doesn’t mean anything as I’m in pretty good health, feel great, have all you wonderful friends out there that stay in contact with me, so I’m never alone out in the boonies. And with Zippy, I’m able to enjoy this adventure in relative safety.


wild roses grow as thick underbrush 

sage brush competes with all the wild flowers

it's a couple mile drive to the end of Fremont lake
where my campsite is.  what awesome views all along the lake

Indian paintbrush

invasive weed


Yesterday I took a short road trip to Half Moon Lake, resort, campground, fishing dock. It’s only a couple more miles from my campsite at Fremont Lake. But unlike the nicely paved road into my campground, once I took the turn off to Half Moon it became quite the adventure. From a high up advantage point I entered a dirt road carved out of the side of the sloping landscape with special views of the Half-moon lake. My goal was to head to the lodge for lunch. Come to find out the campground was closest along the narrow one lane road. Now remember, I driving the Class C camper and yes I had to hug the scrub overhanging the road as large vehicles and boat trailers passed by. But I was determined to find the lodge, surely it would be next. Not so. The boat ramp was next. Continuing on the one lane road as it wound along the shore line, appeared to get even narrower including a couple bridges over creeks leading to the lake. Committed, I finally reached the end of the road and the lodge. Yup, it was at the very far end of the lake. With parking for half a dozen vehicles. I parked behind a tractor.

Half Moon Lake Resort at the end
of the road, what a ride

not crowded, but really slow service

Half Moon lake surrounded by pines, sheltered
would be great for kayaks, canoes



Half Moon Lake and mini Half Moon


a couple sections of the narrow road did widen out
but not for long



Pretty cool views of the lake from the outdoor dining deck. Restaurant service was abysmally slow. Would have been nice to have had internet (forgot to check to see if they had wi-fi). What a remote place for a lodge. Beautiful setting but hardly convenient for the average tourist. But maybe that’s part of the charm.

Heading back out along that narrow road, I had to pass a large/long construction vehicle. Yuck. But somehow we passed each other with no incident.

and lest we forget, the Bubble Lady:









More Photos:



No comments: