Saturday, January 13, 2018

2018-2 Travelin to Texas and beyond

2018-2


FIRST LEG ON MY JOURNEY OUT WEST


1217 Miles...... Florida to Texas


Which way to go?  as a full time Rv-er this is the
kind of signage I like to see!


Mobile Alabama


Campground: Rocky's, Perry Florida. $30.23 Good Sam discount. Full hookup. 50 amp. Convenient gas station/fast food/Rv stop along hwy 98.

Campground:  Johnny’s Rv Resort.  Theodore Al.  PPA rate $17.50.  Full hookups with cable tv 50 amp.  

Campground:  L. Acadie Inn and Rv Park.  Eunice LA.  PPA rate $17.50.  Full hookups.  
59 Trading Place

Campground:  59 Trading Place (Flea Market and Rv park).  Cleveland Tx.  PPA rate $20 for 50 amp full hookup.  30 amp cheaper.  



Campground:  Badu Park, LLano Tx.  $20 fullhookups 50 amp.  Parking lot style overlooking the river and a small riverside park.  Town is withing walking distance.

Out of Central Florida


I made it out of central Florida taking one of my favorite routes out of the state.  The Florida Turnpike was not overly crowded making for a good ride along the toll road.  From Wildwood I headed across hwy 44, north on US 41 (once again on the road that goes all the way to Houghton in Northern Michigan, my original home) and eventually to hwy 98 along the Gulf Coast of Florida.  Little traffic making for an enjoyable drive through old Florida.

Total Distance Traveled to Mobile Al/ 2 days:


537 miles


lots of stops to fuel up

I discovered a great bonus while traveling during the winter months.  No BUGS splatting on the front of the truck and camper.  Both look like I just washed and waxed them.... What a great deal.

Because the drive out of Florida was quite a push in just two days, I’ve stopped in the Mobile Alabama area for two nights and will probably extend that as Monday is supposed to be rainy out all day.... We’ll see.

Rain, rain, rain.... Staying one more day.

I had planned on stopping by and visiting with friends Christine and John and of course their brood of kids, but since I had stayed in the last campsite for three days, I felt it best to head on down the road.  

Distance Traveled:  262 miles


Alabama

Mississippi

Louisiana 

Another long day driving along Interstate 10 and eventually on a secondary road 190.  The day was dreary with fog throughout the morning and just gray skies until finally getting to the campsite around 3:00 in the afternoon.  

Almost Abandoned Place


Multi-plex theater

deserted lobby

I had a most unusual experience while in Mobile Alabama.  As you may recall, I enjoy exploring old ghost towns, the occasional abandoned building etc.  Now that I have Roku, I’ve discovered there are lots of videos especially on Youtube of people who specifically explore abandoned homes, towns, resorts.  

Getting to my experience.   I saw that Jumangee the movie is the top movie at theaters, beating out the Jedi movie.  Deciding to go to a noon day showing, I drove over to a multiplex movie theater and got my ticket and went inside.  Only a few cars outside, but I’d gotten there about a half hour early and they stagger all the movies.  

It was kind of creepy as the large lobby and concession stand was empty except for one person that I saw out of the corner of my eye, going around the far corner.  I walked down the long hallway and had to take another turn down another extended hallway bringing me deeper and deeper into the building, finally I get to my shows entrance.  I think there were about 18 theatres in the large building.  I picked a seat in the middle of the theater and expected a few others to come in shortly.  No one did.  The credits ran and ran and ran.  How many commercials do they play these days?  Many listing upcoming shows produced by YouTube, Netflix, Showtime etc.  

I watched the entire show by myself.  Now remember this is the top money making film this week.  Where are the people?  At the end of the movie, I see a pen light dart across the front of the theatre and disappear.   As I leave the building, winding my way back through the long empty hallways, I did not see one other person, not even an employee.  It felt like I had just experienced a living, deserted, empty, abandoned building that was somehow running on autopilot.  Having not gone to a movie theatre all that often in the past couple of years, is this what it’s really like?  How on earth do the movie companies make any money, let alone the movie theatres that are showing the films to an empty house.  

All in all a very creepy experience

Distance traveled:  190 miles


Louisiana 

Texas

While traveling through Louisiana I stopped in The Cajun music hall fame.  If you are interested in listening to this most unique music.  Check out the phone app:  Kbon 101.1 Radio.  And here some music out of Eunice Louisiana.  




but no prairie exists today....

The area is referred to as Prairie country, though you won’t see any prairie.  Before it was developed by The French Acadian folks who were forced out of Newfoundland and ended up settling in Louisiana creating the wonderful Cajun culture, the western prairies stretched as far east and south as Louisiana.  The prairie grasses were so tall in this area, a traveler had to hold a white flag over his head to be seen.  The town has recreated a small city block of grasses as a reminder.  



oddly, though they have a music museum,
they don't have regular music events....

Not a bad drive.  Foggy morning, dropped back down to I-10 and into Texas.  The first 10 miles or so into Texas and the highway is under construction.  Felt like I’d just gotten onto a bucking bronco.  The rest of I-10 to Beaumont Tx appeared to be all new highway.  I’m heading NW from here to get around Houston (don’t like traveling through large congested cities).  

I’ll continue taking hwy 105 around Houston and eventually link back up with I-10 west of Austin.  Hwy 290 took me through Austin and an unexpected section of toll roads where they will bill me via a pic of my licence plate.

Texas.  Great BBQ.  Interesting conversations with manager of park about her experience going through Hurricane Harvey in Houston Tx.  She indicated that the apartment they were living in was inundated with rivers of water coming in from three directions.  Saying it was surreal to see and experience waves of water coming in from all directions. 

Many miles more down that black topped road and I’ve arrived in the Texas Hill Country.  Rocky outcroppings, squatty cedar trees cover the landscape.  LLano Tx where I’m staying at a city park overlooking the river would normally be a great stop over, except for the overnight freezing temps and very cool days.  The sun is out proving a deceptive sense that it must be warm outside.  

59 Trading Place.  lots of flea markets in Texas
this one has all new facilities and this empty
restaurant waiting for someone to take it over

Though I don’t normally travel large distance like on this trip heading out west, I’ve discovered a basic pattern that is working for me.  Travel the 300+ miles then take a stop over of two days.  It gives me enough time to rest up, plan the next leg of my journey and check weather conditions which could change my travel plans.  Basically it would be like traveling my normal 150 miles daily if I only stopped overnight at each location.  Making for more of a hassle having to setup up and break down daily.

Badu Park, Llanto Texas

Llanto Tx, a city park on the river, campsites are
parking lot style, 50 amp service.  $20


Should arrive in the Tucson area within a week to 10 days time where they tell me the temperatures are in the 70’s.  Sure hope so, as this trip has been freaking cold.  Yes Ann, I’m getting to experience you're type weather without the snow fortunately.

828 miles remaining to get to Tucson AZ.


Note:  if the weather had been better along my route, I’m sure I would have stopped and explored a bit along the way.  But I still have a smile on my face traveling down all those back roads.  Enjoy the journey......

last photo from Shelter Cove
an old camper moving out

last shot from Shelter Cove
old trailer moving off of a lot to be
replaced by a newer unit.

No comments: