Monday, September 21, 2015

2015-27 Parma Idaho to Twin Falls Idaho

2015-27

The Oregon Trail by wagon train

an old car, when transportation really revved up 

and yes, horses are still popular out west


Parma Idaho
Boise Idaho
Twin Falls Idaho


Campground:  Old Fort Boise Park, Parma ID.  $13 senior rate.  Water and 30 amp electric.  Wide gravel sites with grass between campsites.  Mostly open site, but a few have some shade trees.  Next to hwy 20.  Farming community.

Campground:  Rock Creek Rv Park, a county park, Twin Falls. Water and Electric (30 & 50 amp). $15 per night. No showers or restrooms or dump station available. Nice paved walking path along the river.  Second time staying here.



Distance Traveled:  129 miles

Fall is in the air as I head out to my next destination.   I pass the large copy of a Conestoga wagon outside of Prairie Oregon.  Heading east through the Blue Mountains with elevation summits of 5,200 feet and beautiful forests before descending into the eastern side of Oregon and now into Idaho which is  farming country.  Here in Parma signs indicate it is is the onion capital of the world.  Growing and distributing over one billion pounds of them each year.

one billion pounds of onions each year

Not too familiar with this part of the country, I decide to check out a link listed on my Blog page called, Roadside America, offbeat roadside attractions.  My first sighting is just a few feet from the Old Fort Boise campsite I’m staying at and is a statue of  Bigfoot the Vengeful Cherokee.  He robbed and killed pioneers and it took 16 bullets to kill this larger than life Indian.  He was almost 7 feet tall.

 Bigfoot the Vengeful Cherokee

Checking that off my list I head into Boise where I hunt down Marvin the Martian’s Rocket Ship, the statue of Lincoln and the Maytag Washer Woman.  Having a list of unusual sites to search for is almost like a scavenger hunt and a great way to explore a new area.  I was hoping to come across some other great finds and did see the Boise Historical Museum, but it was closed.  Walked over to the local park with a wonderful rose garden but a couple of families had the entrance blocked off taking picture of their little ones.  Fortunately at the last stop, the Maytag Washer Woman there is a small Italian cafĂ© that has some of the best food around.  What a great find at the end of my scavenger hunt. I even ordered a piece of cranberry pumpkin cheesecake for dessert.

Marvin the Martian’s Rocket Ship

me and Mr Lincoln

the Maytag lady

Back in Parma, there’s not much to do.  It’s a small farming community where it’s onion harvesting season.  Three small restaurants, a furniture store and a couple of gas stations round out the business establishments.  A twenty five minute drive brings me to a larger town with shops and a good selection of restaurants.




Distance traveled:  170 miles

Today’s driving is a good example of getting low mileage (9.43 mpg) due to highway driving at 68 mph.  Usually I drive a bit slower and get much better mileage.  I’m back in Twin Falls for a few days and will begin heading south into Nevada.

I’m only here for a few days, waiting to pick up my mail, before heading south into Nevada for some interesting adventures…. Let’s see what the next week or two bring… till next time.

No comments: