Monday, September 4, 2017

2017-24 Confluence to Burnsville West Virginia

2017-24

Rifle Run, the camphosts have been at work decorating the place




Confluence Pennsylvania
Burnsville West Virginia


Campground: Outflow COE. $10 senior rate. 50 amp electric. Water near site. Dump-station on exit.
Odd little park, two camp loops with each site facing into the loop, grassy sites/gravel parking area.
My site faces a parking area, providing lots of space to use for backing into site.

Image result for camping cartoons funny

Distance traveled: 89 miles.


Confluence Pennsylvania would be a great location to venture over to Frank Lloyd Wrights “Falling Water” as it's only about 8 miles from here. But having been there twice in recent travels, I'll see if anything else might be in the area as well.
Good trout fishing year round in the river below the dam. This was a short stop and not much to explore in this area other than Falling Waters.


Distance traveled:  114 miles


Campground: Rifle Run COE. Burnsville West Virginia. $15 senior rate, full hookups 50 amp electric, deep in a valley/hollow behind the lake and dam. Three deer pranced around on the pavement near the entrance to the campground, unafraid of the vehicles passing by.

I've arrived at Rifle Run and was able to get a site before the Labor Day weekend. Being that most campgrounds fill up or are booked way in advance, it was nice to still find an Army Corp campgrounds that's still set up as a “first come first served” no reservations site. On top of that, it has full hookups which I haven't had all summer. Unfortunately, it is missing the modern day Rv-ers requirements, they have no over the air Tv stations, no cellphone coverage, no wi-fi, in other words no internet until one drives back to the Interstate.

With rain in the forecast for 3+ days, I'm scrambling to find access to the internet so I can plan my next leg of my journey. This is more or less a stop over at a site I've been to previously, so I'm not anticipating much in the way of touring the area.

Rifle Run COE Burnsville WV

large campsites but no tv/internet/phone

After reviewing my maps and stopping at the local library in Burnsville I was able to check on a few things. The next day, I drove down to Flatwoods where there are a few shops, a small Walmart and a Fiesta Ware outlet. Boy, I figured out quickly why we all purchase cheap stuff from China and overseas. The prices they were asking for each piece of Fiesta Ware were outrageous. $28 for a bowl, a single dinner plate $19, really.... After having lunch a drove a few miles further south to a small derelict town called Sutton where I would check out their library and spend more time planning my upcoming travels.

First off, I do understand that many times libraries have kids programs and it can get a bit noisy. Though many places have a separate room for such functions. The Sutton library did not use their extra room since the children's section basically in the main library area. I was able to enjoy along with the kids, a program on animals given by a park ranger. It was excellent, as I was able to hear it all the way across the library where I was sitting with my computer.

The noise level kept getting louder and louder as the kids got involved, the adults raised their voices to maximum volume and apparently no one had been taught how to use their “indoor voice”. One of the library staff was especially animated with describing a system of “tickets” the children would be receiving for reading books, getting prizes, etc. I assure you, all the the patrons in the library were able to hear the announcements that seemed to go on for 20 minutes or longer.

A short trip to the town of Buckhannon to get an oil change and tire rotation at the local Walmart, I stopped in the community art building.... the "painted shoes" belong to a gregarious gal who painted those shoes a couple of years back and they've held up quite well.  Telling me about the little town and the improvements going on. Some of the largest display of summer flowers I've ever seen in a small town.  My sister Ann would love it here. 


though the town doesn't have too much to offer except a
few antique shops, it's trying hard to reinvent itself



colleges, hope for the future....

one of the many flower displays throughout town
and leading into town

what a stunning summer display

Through all of this I was able to get some information on campgrounds at my next destination, The Greenbrier Resort, where a secret underground bunker was built to house Washington's elite in case of war. It is now open to the public for tours and I've always thought it would be of interest to see it. It should be a most interesting tour and I can't wait to get there.

I walked around the depressing remains of the town of Sutton with it's empty buildings and vacant store fronts lined up along a forgotten main street. Walking past one store front, I was surprised to see a set of sculptures done obviously a local artist and obviously an expert at his craft. The display covered in a light layer of dust having been placed here how many years ago. No information in the window as to who the artist is. A flea market and indoor garage sale were also going on in the area, but nothing of interest.

Sutton WV, a small town between rivers, mountains and hollers

among the many empty store fronts, I found this display

artist, unknown



artist surely lives in the bldg/apt

strange building along the main street

I head back to the campground knowing I have a plan for my next exciting adventure in a few more days. And the sun has finally come back out. Love those blue skies and the warmth of the sun.


No comments: